*Vermicelli Rice Noodles or Thin Egg Noodles are recommended for this recipe.
*You can precook the noodles in advance, ensuring they are well drained and kept chilled in the fridge.
*This recipe can be prepared using fresh or frozen stir fry vegetables.
*It is also optional to include tofu, chicken or eggs in this recipe.
*The picture shown includes no meat, just 1 egg, beaten and pan fried until solid, then finely sliced and served on top.
Makes one large serve
1 cup of noodles
150g of lean sliced raw chicken (or 150g cubed firm tofu as a vegetarian option)
1 ½ tsp olive oil
1 tsp crushed garlic
½ tsp grated ginger
½ red onion (small)
1 cup of fresh or frozen stir fry vegetable mix
1 tbsp water
1 cup spinach leaves
1 tsp sesame oil
½ tsp rice wine vinegar
1 – 2 tbsp sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis)
Pinch of cracked black pepper
1 iceberg lettuce leaf (washed)
- If using raw chicken, slice, and add to heated nonstick pan with olive oil and cook on a medium high heat until a large piece has reached 75°C in the centre using a meat thermometer, set cooked chicken to the side. (If using tofu follow manufacturer’s instructions)
- Cook noodles to manufacturer’s instructions
- Add garlic, ginger, and vegetables to boiling water in pan,
- Cook in boiling water until vegetables are bright in colour and tender (approx. 3-5 mins) and strain.
- Add cooked chicken/or cooked tofu (if using ), noodles, sesame oil, sweet soy, rice wine vinegar and to the mixture combine and cook until hot
- Finish by adding pepper to taste.
- Place the lettuce leaf in a bowl then place noodles in the lettuce leaf
- Top the noodles with sliced egg (optional).
Food safety tips
Wash your hands with soap and running water and dry thoroughly before handling food and again after handling egg shells and raw chicken. Wash the salad vegetables before use.
If you used raw chicken, make sure you wash the chopping board & knife before using them for other foods. Alternatively you can have a separate chopping board for raw meat.
If you have precooked the noodles or have leftovers place in the fridge at or below 5°C as soon as they stop steaming and freeze immediately or use within 2 to 3 days.
Thanks to our member and chef Narelle Bickford for creating this recipe